Monday, May 2, 2011

Guest Post: Hans Lindor

Hans Lindor, author of I Am Going To Where I Belong, has written a guest post to go along with the feature of his book. You can see the feature in the previous post. I want to give a big thank you to Mr. Lindor for taking the time to write something for me to post and I hope you will all check out his book.


I was once told that being a Negro is a shame and a mortal virus. Sometimes I question my own identity: Is it my fault for being a Negro when my own race mistreats and degrades me, or should I apologize for being a Negro? I was born in Haiti, the first black republic. Sadly, after 201 years of independence, slavery has never really stopped. Our own government is traumatizing the people. A country destroyed by its own cannibals, where lawlessness shines; where innocent children are disregarded and die daily from hunger; where poor women are being raped, beaten to death, and sometimes forced to expose themselves for prostitution. A country where armed Negroes, thugs, thieves, and murderers call themselves and are called by the corrupted government "Freedom Fighters." Perhaps they mean Freedom Killers! Meanwhile, when I dream of my country it's a nightmare. When I think of my country it's a fearful moment. When I talk of my country it's distressing.

I got the taste of freedom when I first came to this country, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, the land of the free and opportunity. Where people are generous. Where dreams do come true if you manage your talent wisely. I was thrilled and enthusiastic because to me I was freed from slavery by fleeing my country. However, it didn't take me long to drown into sadness, when I see that some of my black fellow American brothers continue to betray and kill each other. They are divided while wasting the great opportunity that this precious country offers. Martin Luther King's dream was for blacks and whites to live side by side, for blacks to have the same civil rights as whites, but not for blacks to kill one another and live in poverty. Most of us still have that same dream, where all blacks seize the chance that this valuable country grants to everyone, as we no longer blame the whites for our misery and misfortune.

Being a Negro to me means being a survivor, a visionary, a fortunate human being and moreover, heartbroken. Being a Negro to me also means having an indisputable reputation that foresees the vast intellect of the human race, having seen the light of day and darkness of night. I don't believe in racism. I believe in ignorance. I believe that I am my own antagonist if I can't accomplish my objective. I'm proud to be a Negro or am I?

Hans Lindor

No comments:

Post a Comment