Saturday, November 14, 2009

Author Interview-Jane Doiron


Jane Doiron, the author of my latest cookbook, has given an author interview for the blog about herself and her new book.

Tell me about work, family, hobbies, etc.
I have been teaching for 22 years. I currently teach 2nd grade, but I have taught 3rd grade and Pre-Kindergarten. My husband and I have been married for 22 years. I have a son in college and a son in high school. I guess my hobby is cooking! I've taken a few cooking classes over the years such as cake decorating and bread making.

What made you decide to write a cookbook?
I always wanted to have my own cookbook, but it wasn't possible until I discovered "self-publishing" on-line. If you want to publish a book with a self-publishing company, you don't need to worry about being turned down. With the rising cost of high school and college tuition, I thought the income from the book would also help us out.

How do you think this book is different from other cookbooks out there?
The recipes in my cookbook are family-friendly and give you the option of preparing in advance or freezing the meal. The whole idea is to help save you time when you're too tired or have very little time to prepare a complete meal.

What was the publishing process like? About how long did it take from the beginning of deciding to write to the finished product?
I started writing my manuscript in January of 2008. I submitted my manuscript to the publisher in April of 2009 and it was published in August of 2009. Editing the book was very time-consuming and stressful. I was responsible to catch any errors as the publisher would print what ever I approved.

Plans for other books? If so, will it be more cookbooks or another genre?
I would like to publish another cookbook. It would probably be a "Make-Ahead" type of cookbook as the response from busy moms has been great.

How did you choose the recipes for this book? Did you pick out your favorite things to eat/cook or did you choose them based on what you thought others would like?
I've tested out so many recipes over the years. The recipes in the book are family favorites. If my family approved the recipe, it went in the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment