Friday, November 6, 2009

Review-Make Ahead Meals For Busy Moms by Jane Doiron


Make Ahead Meals For Busy Moms
Jane Doiron
Outskirts Press (2009)
ISBN: 978-1-4327-2086-5



Make Ahead Meals For Busy Moms has been classified as "The new approach to meal planning that will simplify your life," and I have to agree with that. Ms. Doiron's goal was to put forth a book that would help make meal times easier and quicker and she has done just that. The book is filled with tips and recipes that are based on the idea of preparing ingredients or the entire meal ahead of time and then being able to quickly pop it in the oven when you are ready to eat. The book contains 140 recipes that span every aspect of a meal to include appetizers, breakfast and brunch, main dishes, side dishes, soup, and desserts. The food ranges from traditional quick meals like sloppy joes to more elaborate recipes such as stuffed cornish hens and tiramisu.

The book is easy to read and the recipes are diverse to offer something for everyone. I particularly like the tips that Ms. Doiron has at the beginning of each recipe. These comments add a little special touch as she relays a personal note that helps add individuality to each recipe.

Although I do not have children, I have an hour commute to and from work each day and this cookbook is the perfect addition to my life. Over the past few weeks, I have used Ms. Doiron's method and recipes and have found that I do in fact have more time when I get home each night, I have stopped using the drive thru as often, and realized that I can have a large variety of delicious meals with very little effort throughout the work week.

I can't choose just one recipe that I have found to be my favorite as there are many that I love. However, the breakfast burritos have been the best addition to my daily routine. I can prepare these on the weekends and grab one out of the freezer each morning to quickly pop in the microwave and eat on the way to work.

I urge anyone looking for a new cookbook to check this one out, I can guarantee you won't be disappointed. You can also check out the website for the book at www.makeaheadmealsforbusymoms.com for additional information and a great newsletter.


No comments:

Post a Comment